Powered by Blogger.

I Heart Our Barn Door!

January 11, 2012

In an earlier post, I discussed that I wanted a barn door in our house to cover an awkward area where we have two doors side by side.  The smaller door is for a coat closet, that will be closed 99.9% of the time.  The larger door leads down the basement stairs, and it needs to be cracked open 100% of the time because of our little furbaby.

I was not a fan of how the doors looked, all cramped next to each other on such a long wall…and I definitely didn’t want to have a door that would be cracked open all the time, or opened up all the way showing our ugly basement stairway.  Insert our barn door idea here to solve our problem.

After we gave a bunch of pictures and described many designs to our contractor, he was able to build our door!  The track I ordered from here arrived several weeks ago, and was patiently waiting in our basement to be installed.  Now, the unique request we made is one of my favorite things in our house {although I have a hard time narrowing down what things are NOT my favorites haha}. 

To refresh your memory…this is what the area used to look like, pre-barn door.

View from the front door.

View from the hallway corner by the kitchen.

View from the living room area towards the awkward doors.

View from the dining area.

And again...after more progress.

And, yet again!

Last time.



And here is what it looks like now!!!




Yes, our coat closet is a serious disaster right now.  Cleaning/organizing it is on my mile long to-do list!







I’m seriously in L-O-V-E!  I think it’s perfect for that space and for our home.  And believe me…I get that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.  I know many of you may be thinking “what the heck?!?!”, but to me and the hubby, it’s awesome.

Anyone else have any outside-of-the-box ideas that ended up working perfectly for your home???